Friday, October 14, 2011

10 Most Quotable Movies of All Time

Well-written movies don’t come along every day, and truly memorable lines seem to stay with us forever. We quote them whenever the opportunity presents itself. A sort of descriptive code among our peers, they are a means to uniquely encapsulate a moment with a knowing wink or a wry smile.

Awards, critical acclaim and box office success are all well and good. Our favorites, though, tend to be films that are chock full of great lines; and many of them, as you’ll see, are comedies. Here’s our list of the 10 most quotable movies of all time:

  1. The Godfather – a classic film that chronicles the history of an immigrant Mafia family, it gave us such great lines as these:
    • “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.”
    • “Leave the gun, take the cannolis.”
    • “It’s a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.”
    • “Bonasera, Bonasera, what have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully?”

2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail – Not only one of the funniest movies of all time, but chock full of memorable quotes as well:

    • “It’s just a flesh wound.”
    • “Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?”
    • “We are the Knights who say… Ni!”
    • “I don’t want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

3. Caddyshack – It’s doubtful that anyone who has ever swung a golf club in the past 30 years hasn’t quoted this movie:

    • Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he’s been club champion for three years running and I’m no slouch myself.
    • Ty Webb: Don’t sell yourself short Judge, you’re a tremendous slouch.
    • “Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! “
    • “Hey baby, you must’ve been something before electricity.”
    • “You’re a lot of woman, you know that? Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?”
    • “So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice. “
    • “Nnnnnoonan!

4. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy – Shortly after this comedy was released, some of its best lines became instant quotable classics:

    • “I love lamp.”
    • “Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.”
    • “I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly…”
    • “You are a smelly pirate hooker.”
    • “You stay classy, San Diego.”
    • “I don’t know how to put this but, I’m kind of a big deal.”
    • “I would like to extend to you an invitation to the pants party.”

5. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery – Another comedy that had everyone quoting lines from characters including Austin Powers and Dr. Evil:

    • “Oh, behave.”
    • “Yeah, baby!”
    • “Throw me a frickin’ bone here!”
    • “Allow myself to introduce… myself.”
    • “Get in my belly!”

6. A Few Good Men – Is there anyone, anywhere, who hasn’t at least once in their life, quoted Col. Nathan R. Jessep?

    • “You can’t handle the truth!”
    • “I have two books at my bedside, Lieutenant, the Marine Corps Code of Conduct and the King James Bible. The only proper authorities I am aware of are my commanding officer Colonel Nathan R. Jessep and the Lord our God.
    • “I run my unit how I run my unit. You want to investigate me, roll the dice and take your chances. I eat breakfast 300 yards from 4000 Cubans who are trained to kill me, so don’t think for one second that you can come down here, flash your badge, and make me nervous.”

7. Forrest Gump – Tom Hanks, as the slow-witted Gump, delivers some of the most oft-quoted lines in cinematic history:

    • “My momma always said, ‘Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.’”
    • “Stupid is as stupid does.”
    • “Sometimes, I guess there just aren’t enough rocks.”
    • “My name’s Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump.”
    • “ Run, Forrest! Run!”
    • “Dear God, make me a bird. So I could fly far. Far far away from here.”

8. Jerry Maguire – There are some truly quotable lines from this movie about a sports agent who has an epiphany. Just take a look:

    • “Show me the money!”
    • “You complete me.”
    • “I love him! I love him for the man he wants to be. And I love him for the man he almost is.”
    • “Shut up, just shut up. You had me at “hello”.”
    • “That’s more than a dress. That’s an Audrey Hepburn movie.”

9. Steel Magnolias – This cinematic slice of Southern life yielded some terrific lines that still deliver over 20 years later:

    • “Ouiser, you sound almost chipper. What happened today – you run over a small child or something?
    • “The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.”
    • “Remember what Daddy always says – an ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure!
    • “Honey, time marches on and eventually you realize it is marchin’ across your face.”
    • “Looks like two pigs fightin’ under a blanket.”
    • “You are too twisted for color TV!”
    • “Well, you know what they say: if you don’t have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me.”

10. Casablanca – They just don’t write ‘em like this anymore. It’s been almost 60 years, and this movie is still quoted like none other:

    • “Here’s looking at you, kid.”
    • “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.”
    • “We’ll always have Paris.”
    • “I stick my neck out for nobody.”
    • “Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”
Taken From Cable TV Providers

No comments:

Post a Comment